April 2018 Book Review



At the end of every month, I review all the books I read and keep a running list on the Books page of my blog.  In April, I read 5 books and I’m here to tell you about them.  Here we go…


Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf
The plot was ripped from the headlines and grabs you from the beginning.  The main character is a social worker and children’s advocate, so of course, that got me too.  But it’s her own mistake that has all eyes on her as she experiences the system she works in firsthand from the other side of the table.  The way the various character lines intersect kept things interesting as page by page, you have to find out what happens to them next and how their difficult situations will resolve, while also reading about social work child cases that are all too true and heart wrenching.  I gave Little Mercies 5 stars.


I Have Lost My Way by Gayle Forman

Three strangers were brought together after an accident and the story follows each of their characters’ development and secrets.  This book was just okay for me.  Yes, we found out their secrets and got involved in how they end up helping each other out but I wasn’t all that interested in how it would all play out.  I gave it 2.5 stars.



Now That You Mention It by Kristan Higgins

I am just going to keep reading everything Kristan Higgins writes.  I’ve said it before that I love her writing style, and in fact she writes like my best friends and I talk (and think).  This one didn’t stray from what I love about her books - humor, sarcasm, and sweet characters that draw you into sharing their emotions.  After a near-death experience, the main character heads back home to a small island off Boston where we see how she heals not only physically but also in the strained relationships of her past and in promising new relationships too.  I didn’t love it as much as On Second Thought (which I named one of my favorites in 2017) but this is definitely a fun chick lit book with romance, comedy, and conflict.  I gave it 5 stars. 


Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

I had been waiting and waiting to get my hands on this one.  It’s been talked about all over, and I was #135 in line on my library’s waiting list.  Well, it was worth the wait.  This book had parts that were hard to read - my stomach was in knots all through the middle - but the author ends it in a way that takes all that pain away.  This book is inspired by the true story and scandal of the Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage in the 1930s.  The unbelievable truth behind that orphanage is portrayed in this book and it’s still hard to imagine that this happened in our country years ago to hundreds of children!  I really enjoyed the way the book follows two families – one in the 30s and one in present day, and how their heartbreaking stories unfold with each chapter, and how those experiences change them (and the reader) forever.  5 stars, no doubt.


Best Friends, Occasional Enemies by Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella

This is actually a compilation of short essays where real life mother and daughter share their hilarious stories.  Lisa Scottoline is the author of several mystery fiction books I’ve read over the years and it was so funny to hear this side of her.  The way she talks about her mother – daughter bond, with her own mom and with her daughter, had me laughing out loud in the car.  (I enjoyed this on audio with the Italian accents and sarcasm and all.)  While different than what I normally read, it was time well spent and I gave it 4 stars.

So those are the books where I lost myself in April.  Oh!  And I'm reading the new 100 day devotional that was just released on April 10 by Melanie Shankle, Everyday Holy




The book is beautiful and I'm doing it one day at a time, so I'm not listing it here as one I've finished but if you're into daily devotionals, hers is worth picking up.  It is rich in poignant reminders about finding God in every day little moments, and lined with Melanie Shankle's pop culture-influenced humor that I love.

Reading continues to be my favorite pastime and I’m so grateful I came back to my love of reading a few years ago. 

If you’re a reader like me, you can find me on Goodreads here, and check out my unique Book Bucket List Challenge of 2018 here.


Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts