March 2018 Book Review


Hey everyone, I’m back with my monthly book review!  In March, I read 6 books and I’m sharing what I thought about them here.  So, if you’re a fellow reader, I hope this is helpful and hope to hear what others are reading too.

Let’s get started…



Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle

Melanie Shankle has written 4 books (all of which are fantastic) and I didn’t mean to, but I read them all in backwards order of when they were released.  I started with her most recent book Church of the Small Things and then had to read another and then another and another because I just love her writing style, her humor and the lessons in her stories which are heartwarming and hilarious.  I read her first book this month, Sparkly Green Earrings, and loved it just the same as the others.  This one is focused on motherhood, and I really did go back and listen to a few chapters over again to make sure I got the details right for when I need them in the future.  (Chapter on potty training, I’m looking at you.)  It was fun to get to know her motherhood journey, especially now that she’s become one of my favorite authors.  I gave it 4 stars.  (Side note - I love listening to her books on audio.  Her humor really comes over!)


Castle of Water by Dane Hucklebridge

I read this one after seeing it recommended on a fellow blogger’s book review post.  This is a story about survival after a plane crash in the ocean. The storyline of the two castaways had me intrigued and kept me reading to find out what was happening next.  I love the way they developed the plot to demonstrate the importance of “home” and where that is, or where you make that, based on your circumstances.  These types of stories always make me wonder what I would do in a similar situation.  Thought provoking for sure.  I should probably get to learning how to make a boat and such.  I gave it 3.5 stars.



A Life Intercepted by Charles Martin

This was a great and easy read - one that you can get through quickly.  This book combined my love for football, and for romance and chick lit, all in one.  I felt all proud understanding the football lingo, and learning more about football, and the job of the quarterback, from this book.  The storyline was captivating, keeping the reader in suspense throughout the book.  There’s crime and prison stories involved here, so it’s not all just fluffy beach read although I mentioned chick lit is included.  The characters were endearing, and their relationships meaningful.  I really enjoyed this author though I had never heard of him before.  (That marks another one of my 2018 Book Bucket List Challenge.)  I “scored” this one 4 stars.


A Simplified Life:  Tactical Tools for Intentional Living by Emily Ley

The book description on Goodreads says you’ll find the author’s “strategies, systems, and methods for permanently clearing the clutter, organizing your priorities, and living intentionally in 10 key areas—from your home and meal planning, to style and finances, parenting, faith life, and more.”  I sometimes get in the mood for nonfiction and self-help, so I picked up this book.  It’s true, those are all the things it covered but to me, it was just a summary of stuff I’ve heard elsewhere, or already do.  They were good reminders, I suppose, but no “aha” moments for me in this one.  If you are looking for a book about how to simplify your life to make room for focusing on your goals, it could be helpful to you.  I gave it 3 stars.


Grace, Not Perfection by Emily Ley

Emily Ley has two books that were recommended so after I finished Simplified Life, I went on to this one and several parts repeat themselves in each book.  I didn’t need that twice.  This one is basically again about simplifying your life.  If you really need that in life at the moment, go for it.  This one also got 3 stars from me.


The Night the Lights Went Out by Karen White

This was my favorite book of the month, and has been on my "To Read" shelf for some time.  It didn’t disappoint even though the storyline surprised me.  There are parts of the book set in the 1930’s but I thought that the whole book was written about that time.  Instead, it combines storytelling about the South back then with a modern twist (even excerpts of a gossip blog) set in current time.  The characters, especially the lead character, Sugar, are great in the story and how they are developed and participate in the sinful plot is done so well.  Couldn’t wait to keep learning more about them, and uncovering their secrets.  I gave it 4.5 stars.

Those are all the books I spent a lovely time with in March. 


For you fellow book lovers:

I'm on Goodreads, you can add me here

For the complete list of everything I read in 2017, click here.

Find out which books I named my absolute favorites of 2017 here.

And check out my fun Book Bucket List Challenge of 2018 here.

I am keeping a running list of the books I'm reading this year and their star ratings on my home page here.

Happy Reading, to all!

Comments

Popular Posts