Friday Favorites AND November Book Review - 12.8.17





Today’s Friday Favorites intersects with my monthly book review, and it’s fitting because there’s definitely a favorite book of 2017 in here!  So here we go with my November Book Review as I linkup with Erika, Andrea and Narci for their weekly Friday Favorites post.


Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy

I started November with a suspense, which I don’t do often.  I thought it would be more gripping to figure out where the missing kids disappeared to after getting lost from their cruise ship.  It held my attention but maybe I had too high expectations for it.  I gave it 3 stars.

Without Merit by Colleen Hoover

Last year, Colleen Hoover rocked my world with It Ends with Us and Confess.  I was so excited when she released this new one.  Still with a romance that unfolds throughout the book, it held some of her same style but it wasn’t a page turner like some of her others.  She delivered several quotes and lines that still have me respecting her writing, but this one definitely doesn’t compare to my original CoHo favorites.  Here’s something random though -  I love the names she gives her characters.  In this one, I liked Honor, Merit, and Sagan.  They’re unique and they work.  I gave it 3.5 stars.

On Second Thought by  Kristan Higgins

Well, I wanted to be more impressed by my first two books this month, but this one made up for both and then some!  I fell in love with Kristan Higgins’ books back in August.  I love her writing – it’s light, funny, sarcastic in the right places, sweet and frankly, I think she writes like my best friends and I talk.  I always find myself laughing out loud and getting teary-eyed in her books.  In fact, in August, I named her book, If You Only Knew, a sure contender for my favorite book of 2017.  Imagine my surprise and excitement, when only a couple chapters in, I knew this one was right up there too.  I don’t think I can even decide between the two which I loved more.  I really enjoyed this book, and the characters.  I sort of didn’t want it to end.  It pulls at your heartstrings in true chick lit fashion and also cracked me up throughout.  If you love chick lit like I do (my favorite break from the heavy subjects of work and life), you have to read On Second Thought without a second thought.  Like what I did there?  Ha!  I gave it 5 stars.


Class Mom by Laurie Gelman


This one came recommended by my favorite blogger and fellow reader, Shay.  I didn’t think I was going to read it, as I couldn’t relate to being a class mom (yet).  Then one of my besties, Monica, who is a teacher, said she loved it because it was laugh out loud hilarious.  So I got it on audio and bonus points, because I love when the author records her own book.  Monica was right, the book is hilarious.  The main character is so silly and you don’t have to have kids in school or be a class mom to crack up about how she thinks, talks and acts.  A fun read/listen, I gave it 4 stars.

After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Taylor Jenkins Reid in true form.  Another feel good chick lit book with characters you’re sure to attach to, I enjoyed it although the ending was predictable.  Sometimes, predictable in a sweet, touching way is still great.  Comforting family ties in this book too.  If you like TJR, and haven’t read this one, you’ll like it.  I gave it 4 stars.


Because of Bethlehem by Max Lucado

I first read this last Christmas season and knew it was one that I’d want to read every Christmas.  So this was a repeat read for me (and I hardly do that at all).  It’s a short book but full of substance that I appreciate because of the reminders of the true reason of Christmas.  This can be a busy, stressful time and often the meaning of the holiday can get lost in the shopping lists, in the traffic, crowds, cold, and endless parties.  Max Lucado brings the meaning of Christmas to light in a way that reaffirms my faith and celebrates our Savior.  Still a 5-star rating from me, and I still think I’ll read it every year.

So there we have it, six books for November.  It was a great month.  Hope you enjoyed my book reviews and as always, my complete list of books from 2017 can be found from my Books tab and I'm also on Goodreads.  Happy Reading and happy Friday Favorites!




Comments

Popular Posts