One Caring Adult



Becoming a foster parent very quickly changed from a decision to a calling; something I feel compelled to do.  When your phone rings, and it’s the County calling to present babies’ cases to you, it is impossible not to understand how much more has to be done for these kids.  Even when you don’t know what you’re fully getting into because foster care is so uncertain, you do know that these children deserve a fighting chance at a bright future that will take them far beyond the circumstances which led them to need foster homes.

During one of the 10 weeks of preparatory classes to become licensed as a foster parent, we were introduced to a video testimony from Josh Shipp, a former foster child and now motivational speaker.  His message moved me.  He said, “Every kid is one caring adult away from being a success story.”  Josh Shipp’s message spoke to the importance of my role as a foster parent.  "The difference between a statistic and a success story, is you."  I feel very grateful to have been led down this path so that I can do my part as one caring adult for the children who need it most.  And of course, we can all try to be that for a child, this doesn't apply to foster care alone. 


The foster journey, while full of love, is not smooth, and it’s not easy, but it is important.  I shared these thoughts on Instagram last night as I held a little baby girl in my arms who calls my house her home:

In all my life, on all the paths I’ve traveled, none have been such a walk in faith as this foster care journey. Every day is filled with love, but also with uncertainty about the future. Every day you’re just hoping for the best while being reminded of difficult realities with each child’s story. You move forward believing there is a grander plan and even when you’re not in control of much, you’ll keep moving along the path because you believe in the greater cause. Because I’m accustomed to believing deeply in, and being led by, something I can’t even see - that’s what faith is, after all - I remain committed to being a foster parent.

If fostering is on your heart, I pray that you find your way.  I encourage you to inquire in your community about the process of becoming licensed. Our foster community needs you and we want to welcome you. I can assure you that for as long as a child is with you, even if only for a short time, you will feel so much love and you will feel the importance of answering the call to foster.

This is foster care, and this is my journey.  I hope that sharing it will spread awareness of the need for foster parents.

By the way, I embedded the short version of Josh Shipp's speech about One Caring Adult and his experiences as a foster child.  Check out YouTube for more.

Comments

Popular Posts