September 2017 Book Review


Hi everyone!  September flew by and already I have for you my latest edition of my book reviews.  Around the last day of every month, I review all the books I read in that month.  I love to learn about new books from other readers, and I love to share my list with readers too.  A complete list of all the books I’ve read in 2017 can be found on the Books tab from my Home page.  You can also follow me on Goodreads where I track all the books I read too.

So, let’s talk about books, baby!



Why We Broke Up by Daniel Hadler

This was a pick in our book club because the author will be at the Las Vegas Book Festival on October 21.  Anyone else going?  I had to knock this down a star for all the negative self-talk by the character especially at the end.  Wasn’t a favorite, but I did hear the author is a great children’s mystery author but goes by another name for those books.  Interesting.  I’ll have to find out more at the Book Festival.  I only gave it 2 stars.


The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo

This book was referred to as “the epic love story of 2017” by Redbook.  I admit, I’m a sucker for a love story and this one did not disappoint.  I can see why some reviewers weren’t sure how to feel about it, like when you’re not sure who to root for in a movie.  I just accepted that dilemma and got all swept up in the storyline and characters.  It pulled at my heart strings and I enjoyed the way the book unfolded.  Also, I just loved that I happened to start reading it on 9/11 which tied into the book.  Every time I had to put the book down, I felt myself wanting to get back to it in a hurry, to find out what was happening in the love stories next.  I gave it 4 stars. 


The Wishing Box by Dashka Slater

Have you ever read a chapter in a book and asked yourself, “What did I just read?  Where did that come from?”  That was me in some parts of this book.  Two sisters put their biggest wish into a box, for the return of their father who abandoned them as children.  Ok, I follow.  But then the things I found out about the father had me like “Whaaaa?”  It’s almost worth reading just so we can discuss those crazy parts of the story.  I gave it 2.5 stars.


The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green

This is written by a New York Times bestseller.  Another book with a long library wait list because it comes highly recommended.  The family ties, the character development, the emotion and the ethical dilemma about a mother wanting her daughters to help her end her life were certainly worth the read.  I gave it 3.5 stars.


The Best Man by Kristan Higgins

Last month, I read my first Kristan Higgins book, “If You Only Knew” and adored it.  I had to get another one of hers this month.  Parts of this book had me laughing out loud.  I mean, it’s totally worth reading just for the wrap sweater/bathroom scene alone.  Ha!  I’m cracking up just thinking of it right now.  I love the writer’s style.  It's total chick lit, so light and fun, and this one also had characters I got attached to right away.   Another great Higgins read, I rated it 4 stars.

That’s it for September, fellow readers.  Let me know if you have book recommendations.  I’m building quite the “To Read” list.  Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts